[Homeroast] Amateurs/Professionals & Craftsmen/Artists

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Sat May 1 17:22:27 CDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 11:09 AM, michael brown wrote:

> hat's my two cents...just wanted to jump in...i've been lying
> dormant on the list for a little while.
>
> Michael B
> b'ham, AL

Another two cents.  Coffee and car repair are two of my hobbies, I
enjoy doing them and I feel I am quite good at both but I made a
living as a sociology professor and now live off the retirement income
generated by teaching and doing research for more than thirty years.
But, one of the kids we adopted worked with me on all my auto repair
activities for the year and a half that he lived with us and it took
him from not knowing how to change a tire to being a professional
mechanic.  He has obviously learned more since he left home but he
will still occasionally ask me a mechanic question.  His wife was
working in a women's fashion store and after she tried my coffee she
consistently wanted to know more about selecting beans, roasting, and
brewing.  She has moved from women's fashion to working in and now
managing one of the best coffee shops in a very large metropolitan
area.  She is now asking for more help in learning more about coffee
as she plans to open her own combined coffee/custom fashions shop.
Out of dozens, only two of the people paid to make me coffee produced
as good a drink as I regularly do.  I have completely quit using
mechanics so I can't make a similar statement about their work.  In
general we label people by the activity they do to make most of their
income, not by what they do best.

       pecan jim