[Homeroast] Amateurs/Professionals & Craftsmen/Artists

Dhananjaya djgarcia at improbablystructuredlayers.net
Sat May 1 13:09:44 CDT 2010

Frankly, in my book we're talking apples and potato chips. How good one gets
at doing something is much more dependent on a person's inner convictions
and character. Whether they are getting paid or not to do it may be a factor
for motivation, as are the expenses involved, training or not, how much you
learn (or how disinterested you get) from doing something repeatedly, etc.
But again those are heavily dependent on a person's character and goals.

The No. 1 Barista, currently owning his own coffee shop / roasting facility,
gets married and decides to accept a lucrous management position so he can
make more money and spend more time with his family. He's still the No. 1
Barista, but no longer a coffee professional. Hmmm, I think that would make
a cool movie "The Barista", with ... Paul Rubens???!!!

I don't believe miKe is a super-competent roaster / barista because he's a
professional. Quite the contrary, he's now a professional because he loves
this type of work and is truly adept at it (or is heavily addicted to coffee
and really picky, not sure which :-).

Generally speaking I hate generalizations because they change so much by
geography, demographics, seasons, mosquito population, planetary alignment.

And remember kids, we're trained professionals, DO try this at home ...

DJ