[Homeroast] Amateurs/Professionals & Craftsmen/Artists

sci scizen at gmail.com
Sat May 1 13:13:19 CDT 2010

Dan,
I agree with you completely. Quality gives way to quantity, the
McDonaldization effect.  Over the years I have noticed this dynamic in many
pursuits and professions. An "amateur" carpenter can and does spend three
times as much time than a "professional."  It is a strange twist that comes
when someone steps across the line to do something for $$. At that point,
the commodity can suffer as one tries to sell more, especially if
competition undercuts you. Pros usually lower the quality to a sweet spot
where customers are happy, but quantity of output is the highest.
Case in point: My local favorite coffee shop baristas are great guys, some
are my college students, but when I walk in to get a double shot 'spro,
there are  three people in line behind me. They don't have time to "hand
craft" a perfect shot, but they make a consistently decent shot of one
single blend. Whereas I can spend a lot of time at home, trying different
blends, different extraction parameters, etc. I can make a much better shot
at home. But, I am an amateur, who does not worry about three people
standing in line.
The same could apply to roasting. A true world class roaster operates about
20 miles from here in Durham, NC,  yet I roast more kinds of beans than they
offer. I roast more varieties, at less cost, at four roast levels, with more
freshness. Can I roast as well as they do? I should hope not. It would be
ironic if with my Behmor I roast as well as they do with their $100K
roaster. Still, the pro usually has the advantage of having superior
equipment, that allows high consistency yielding consumers a convenient
acceptable product that they won't make.
FWIW
Ivan