[Homeroast] Rebooting for roasting

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Sat May 1 07:49:20 CDT 2010

Actually, you don't have to take the Behmor apart to see how hot the
heating elements are.  The the heat resistant transparent covering is
reachable.  If you hold a finger close to it you can tell if it is
cool enough to touch and then you can go ahead and touch it knowing it
is not hot enough to burn your finger.  After a cooling cycle the
heating elements might be just a little warmer than their shields but
not enough to have an impact on the life expectancy of the heating
elements.  If you can stand touching the heating element shields, I
can see no way that the residual heat would have an impact on the life
expectancy of the heating elements.  The residual heat might have a
slight effect on the roasting process but given that a thermostat
shuts off the heat producing electricity at a set temperature, it
should be an effect that is no larger than the difference between
summer and winter roasting.
      In short, I am not going to spend any of my scarce remaining
life time waiting between roasts for the temperature of the heating
elements to cool an extra degree or two.

     pecan jim