[Homeroast] Amateurs/Professionals & Craftsmen/Artists

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Sat May 1 02:45:47 CDT 2010

Actually, "holds a job" is not a defining qualification of being a
professional. "Holding a job" in our society commonly means being paid to
work for someone else.

Tom is most assuredly a coffee professional. Tom is self employed and hence
does not have a "job".

Most doctors are considered professionals. Many doctors are self employed.

Most attorneys are considered professionals. Many attorneys are self
employed.

Etc.

While I agree being a professional does not assure competence the statement
"In most cases the non paid person who is performing a task will have a
higher competency level than a comparable paid person" is baseless hogwash.

Most people would be fail miserably performing brain surgery or defending
themselves in court.

As far as coffee is concerned I've observed and experienced a rather large
sampling of both amateur and professional skills over the last decade. While
I agree there are many competent and even some exceedingly excellent highly
skilled home barista I highly doubt many if any would have the skill to come
close to matching any of the six finalists in the recent US Barista
competition, all professionals. I also highly doubt many if any would match
the skill of even some of my baristas.

Slave to the Bean Kona Kurmudgeon miKe mcKoffee
www.NorwestCoffee.com
http://www.mckoffee.com/

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/