[Homeroast] sugar (cane) roasted coffee?

Edward Bourgeois edbourgeois at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 15:10:53 CDT 2010

I'm not sure a traditional recipe would help cause from what I've
heard Torrefacto roasts are darker than we would like. From what I've
heard the sugar is added towards the end of 2nd crack and can absorb
better due to the fractures of the beans at that level. It wouldn't
take long to caramelize at that point and of course you don't want
them to burn or catch fire! Sugar is very volatile! Even in a whirly
pop you might end up with a cleaning mess. Thats why I think I'd start
with dumping the roast in a teflon pan and add some fine sugar while
stirring. I was thinking a nice slightly softer bean like a
nutty/choc.  So. American or lower grown Mexico. Dumping from the
roaster and adding the sugar just before second crack. But this is
just a guess. I will be roasting tomorrow and may try a little Brazil
test. I've also heard that this process coats the beans and makes them
last longer in warm humid climates.
--
Ed Bourgeois aka farmroast
Amherst MA.