[Homeroast] iRoast alternatives?

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 14:21:39 CDT 2010

I received my Gene Café a couple months ago, having spent a year using a hot
air popcorn popper.

I like it.

The only negative I see (actually hear, or more to the point, don't hear) is
that because I'm a bit hard of hearing, I have to pay close attention to
hear 2nd crack.  But if I pay attention, there is no problem.

In the grander scheme of things, I would have liked to have a more
powerful/quicker cool-down (e.g., dump hot beans into a colander & use a
strong fan).  The beans take a good 5+ mins. to cool down, whereas with my
old popcorn popper and industrial fan, I could cool them to room temperature
in about 45 seconds.  However, I haven't figured out if the difference in
cool-down times can be tasted in the cup.

Anyway, two thumbs up for the Gene Café from me.