[Homeroast] why use a rod in a Yama instead of the cloth filter?

Phil Palmintere phil.palmintere at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 12:55:01 CDT 2010

I've come to love my 5 cup Yama (only a month or two old), and I'm using the
stock cloth filter.  I've read several of you discuss issues with stalling &
the rare implosion when you use a glass rod.

So, my question is this: why did you switch from the stock cloth filter to
the glass rod?  It sort of sounds like a PIA.  Now that you've switched, do
you ever go back to using the stock cloth filter?  What are the pluses and
minuses?

Thanks
Phil