[Homeroast] Saeco Starbucks Barista Espresso

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:40:22 CDT 2010

John,

You can produce decent shots on this machine with some work and a
non-pressurized portafilter.  Biggest downside is the small boiler, which
causes rapid temperature fluctuation.  You will probably need to
"temperature surf" it to get temp. in the range you want it (google
"temperature surfing" for more info).   You can measure temperature with a
thermocouple, or a cut-off styrofoam cup and an instant read thermometer
(and some gloves to prevent burning your hands).

Also, don't over-tighten the steam valve, or it will forever leak (I speak
from experience here).

good luck, and let us know about your espresso journey

--mike