[Homeroast] Resting coffees after roast

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:30:39 CDT 2010

I might add here the observation that darker roasts are "ready" earlier than
lighter roasts.

One of the possible reasons is that the "bright" flavors appear to be
"brightest" just out of the roaster. In some cases with bright, acidic
coffee, lightly roast, that might just set your teeth on edge it's so
bright.

When the volatiles combine with the natural acidity of the bean and the
higher acidity of lighter roasts, blowing off the volatiles by resting a few
days to tone things down a little makes a lot of sense.

Darker roasts appear to mute the high, bright notes, and so are ready
earlier.

Does any of this make sense?

Doug