[Homeroast] Resting coffees after roast

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 00:01:23 CDT 2010

My mileage >is< different!  (grin)

I have had great coffee with beans still warm from the roaster.  That's
often when drifty, volatile flavors are alive never to be seen again.  With
a coffee where this is most evident, I notice a drop in flavor at about 1-2
days, then it peaks with low notes (minus the volatiles) at 3-4 days where
it starts a decline.

It has been quite interesting to taste the different flavors at various
ages.  I hesitate to embrace any rules of thumb, only that the flavors are
time dependent.  It's worth defying conventional wisdom and cupping some
young coffees.

Bob