[Homeroast] to swallow or not to swallow

sci scizen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 18:43:28 CDT 2010

Swallowing helps. Nasal backdrafts are much stronger after swallowing. Right
after swallowing, it is instinctive to exhale through the nose (it keeps
food and liquids from going down the windpipe). Try to do the opposite
(inhale) and you'll see what I mean. At that moment of slight exhale,
flavors go out through the nasal cavity, pass the olfactory sensors. So, in
effect, one is sniffing out, rather than sniffing in. Flavors, especially
the more ephemeral, stand out. To magnify the backdraft effect, roll the
tongue and exhale through the nose slowly. I'm practicing right now with a
DP Sidamo.

Ivan