[Homeroast] Resting coffees after roast

Frank Parth fparth at mac.com
Mon Mar 22 15:35:49 CDT 2010

>  This recalls a question that I've been wondering about myself, what happens
>  when you rest beans after the roast.  I've heard many opine that the only
>  thing that happens after the roast is staling of beans, and that for some
>  reason beans that have been staled from 1 to 4 days taste better then right
>  out of the roaster, but if you let your beans stale past 14 days, it's
>  rubbish.

>  It's got me curious what's going on inside those seeds.
>
>  -Chris

And I can't think of anyone that says drink the coffee immediately after roasting. The recommendations I've heard are
to let it rest, sometimes at least 48 hours before it's really drinkable.

My roasts increase their flavor from 24 hours out to almost a week, sometimes longer. I've never had a roast last
longer than 10 days or so and I can't say what happens after that.

Your mileage may vary.

Frank