[Homeroast] Resting coffees after roast

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Mon Mar 22 13:31:41 CDT 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 2:00 PM, John and Emma wrote:

> As far as what is happening in the seeds I can't answer that. For me and my
> wife when roasting to FC to FC+ we find 1 to 4 days rest is optimal. There
> are changes over these few days but past 4 days the coffee becomes bland and
> loses its highlights. When roasting to C to C+ we find the longer rest time
> of 4 to 7 days optimal. For us you lose the grassy flavour and the
> highlights of the beans are more distinct. Beyond 7 days rest we find that
> all coffee starts to lose its unique characteristics. This is a generality
> and there may be specific beans that are different.

I dunno, I think that some coffees are just hitting their stride at 7 days. Then again, I like to go very light with DP coffees, and with those, I think a bit more rest is good. I'd say that they start to degrade after 14 days or so.

Darker roasts tend to degrade (for drip) faster, I think, with the weird exception of espresso - espresso often likes a good bit of rest on  it, often at least 5 days or more. Go figure.

I guess the only hard and fast rule is that the aging requirements vary greatly by bean and how it is roasted.

-
allon