[Homeroast] Resting coffees after roast

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 12:15:23 CDT 2010

This recalls a question that I've been wondering about myself, what happens
when you rest beans after the roast.  I've heard many opine that the only
thing that happens after the roast is staling of beans, and that for some
reason beans that have been staled from 1 to 4 days taste better then right
out of the roaster, but if you let your beans stale past 14 days, it's
rubbish.

This doesn't ring true for me, the roasts I've had that require rest
definitely get more balanced and integrated and can loose their grassy
flavors with rest, but it's the balance that interests me.  Since I've been
roasting almonds in the Behmor I've noticed the same thing, the roasted
flavors come together much better a day after the roast, even though there's
no real off tastes right after roasting, it just doesn't taste like they're
quite done yet... like the Maillard Reactions continue in some respect with
rest.

It's got me curious what's going on inside those seeds.

-Chris