[Homeroast] to swallow or not to swallow

raymanowen at gmail.com raymanowen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 02:04:32 CDT 2010

" Roasting to varying degrees of darkness adds another layer of complexity."
[The Goats just got caffeine, and they expressed themselves well- "*Bah!*"]

"Coffee is best 4 to 24 hours after roasting."
This has merit, but I like to accompany the roast on its journey to
maturity. Sounds like Smith quoted some Kenneth Davids scripture in this
article from 2007. We just enjoyed a counter-example to the 'must-be-fresh'
thinking.

 Within the 4 - 24hr window after roasting the Bolivia FTO SHG Caranavi, I
thought I was sitting in the rong pew. What? I thought I caught the 1-lb
roast about right when I stopped it just one crack into 2nd. (The big red
button on the blower motor contactor is for Ray's Thermodyne brake. I never
found the one bean, but there was no number two!)

After three days and six hours, the doubts are erased. The 4 to 24 hours is
certainly not my window for coffee maturity, For the toy roasters, hitting
the "Cool" button is about like calling 9-1-1 after you flick a cigarette in
a fireworks factory, as I've seen in the posts.

Cheers, Mabuhay -RayO, aka Opa!

So many beans- so little time.