[Homeroast] two cans and a drill - heat and can lining

Martin Maney maney at two14.net
Sun Mar 21 22:23:11 CDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 04:19:39PM -0400, Sam49 wrote:
> I gave up pursuing the HGBM method due to concerns about the toxic fumes
> from the non-stick lining in the dough bowl where the beans would be
> roasting.   Heat guns are putting out temps quite a bit above those
> necessary to generate the fumes from the non-stick coating.
>
> I know some dismiss this issue, but I think it is a real concern.

Yeah, that would be a bit of a poser, if you used a non-stick lined
bowl.  Luckily, I didn't have a dog bowl handy, so I used a a plain,
non-lined stainless steel mixing bowl.  It's retired now - I got tired
of fighting the ever-changing (but always chilly) porch environment,
but the small bowl worked fine for 4 oz, and I'm pretty sure it was
limited by the heat source vs air temp; at least half again would
probably work mechanically, and that was a smallish mixing bowl.

--
Not on the wealthy, who buy only what they want when they want it, was
the vast superstructure of industry founded and built up, but on those who,