[Homeroast] to swallow or not to swallow

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Sun Mar 21 19:26:42 CDT 2010

One of the most excruciating things I ever had to do was on my first trip to France, with a wine-store owner.  We were in Burgundy, tasting exquisite barrel samples from the very northern end of the Cotes de Nuits. We had to spit, otherwise we'd have been unable to discern different wines, or (of course) drive to the next winery. When I mentioned how delicious the last wine was, the vintner told me it was a Richebourg, with futures already selling for $200 a bottle!  I darn near fainted (had it been a Romanee-Conti, I WOULD have). You can bet that later in the week when we reached Chateau d'Yquem in Sauternes, we most assuredly did NOT spit--we shared a half-bottle with the vintner and then went back to the car to nap before hitting the road back to Paris.
On Mar 21, 2010, at 6:44 PM, Joseph Robertson wrote:

> Sure,
> swallowing makes a difference. One of the reasons I drink coffee is because
> I am addicted to caffeine. To rate and judge the character notes in coffee
> one does not swallow. If I drink coffee because I would like to enjoy say a
> cup of home brewed Kona I know what to expect. At the rate I pay for my Kona
> or some of the coffees that Tom and Maria sell you can bet I'm not going to
> spit. Peace & song,

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com