[Homeroast] to swallow or not to swallow

Joseph Robertson theotherjo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:44:58 CDT 2010

Sure,
swallowing makes a difference. One of the reasons I drink coffee is because
I am addicted to caffeine. To rate and judge the character notes in coffee
one does not swallow. If I drink coffee because I would like to enjoy say a
cup of home brewed Kona I know what to expect. At the rate I pay for my Kona
or some of the coffees that Tom and Maria sell you can bet I'm not going to
spit. Most of the home roasters here would just as soon let Tom do the
spitting. That said if you want to taste all those notes and differences in
coffees your roasting you need to do the "Cupping thing" Once you get it
down, it does not take you long to figure out which coffee suits your taste
profile of the day.
The reason it is a different note when you drink it is most of the critical
taste buds, (receptors) are not even activated, thus the slurping thing to
coat those guys hiding in the back/front/and corners of the mouth. The
liquid doesn't spend enough time on or over them when you big gulp it down.
Most drink or food in general will offer more opportunity for the taste
experience if one were to chew longer and keep there food or drink in and
around the taste buds longer.
Walk slower, eat slower, live slower, smell the roses and enjoy some great
coffees along the way.
JR