[Homeroast] When your do NOT have home roasted coffee... a Sunday post.

g paris pchforever at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 20:05:34 CDT 2010

Peter and C:

I can still taste the blueberry...

Maria, Ben and Tom:

the gift for me was my link to Sweet Maria's!!

With you I have the ability to taste the top 5% of the worlds coffee.

I try many coffees but the BEST are from guys (Maria, Ben and Tom.)

because you tell me about the coffee, I do not know the intricate smells,
tastes
of an individual bean; because you do, I learn and thanks so much.

ginny

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM, peterz <peterz at npgcable.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> coffee maker. You would think there would be lots of good coffee around, and
>> there is at some places. Helsar farm has their own Behmor and serves very
>> nice French Press coffee, as does Montes de Oro farm. I brought a Behmor
>> down to the Don Mayo mill because his Gene Caffe died, and I couldn't get a
>> new heating element for him in time. In CR a lot of the producers we work
>> with are now home roasters! They can't afford Probats and the like, so in
>> the past they never were able to roast/taste/serve their own coffee. That
>> has changed, and on most trips I am taking down machines for someone or
>> other. Now, if we found someone on the list who actually travels with green
>> coffee and a roaster (!) as well as grinder and brewer, we would have to
>> crown a new champion of coffee excess!!!
>>
>> Tom
>>

>>  Life is good ... with fresh coffee.
>>>
>>> As you may or may not know, I'm in one of the towns without a good coffee
>>> shop (Orange County, CA).  I was taking my eldest to acting class the
>>> other
>>> evening, and decided to take my 2 younger ones to a chain store (not
>>> $bucks)
>>> to try a cappucino while we waited.  They served me probably a 16 oz cup.
>>> All I could say was ugggh.  The milk felt like soap bubbles and burnt,
>>> way
>>> too hot.  I was about half foam on top of the coffee and then below was a
>>> weak excuse for a coffee elixir.  Reminded myself how bad coffee can be.
>>>
>>> The next morning I woke up as usual around 4 or 4:30.  My latest batch of
>>> Colombian (Colombia Platos Fuertes de Huila Microlot Mix) roasted just to
>>> the end of 1st crack was on it's 3rd day rest.  I whipped up a cup in the
>>> CCD, and all I can say was I hit the roast and brew perfect.  My
>>> experience
>>> with Colombians in the past has been less than stellar, so I was using
>>> this
>>> as an experimental roast.  This coffee turned out perfect.  Even my wife,
>>> who doesn't obsess about these things, noticed what a clean cup this was.
>>> nice quiet early morning enjoying a perfect cup of coffee.  Ahhhhh!
>>>
>>> Then, I decided to make 2 cappucinos out of my first blend ("Dr.'s Rx No.
>>> 1").  It is a post-roast blend of 2 parts Brazil, 1 part Costa Rica, 1
>>> part
>>> Ethiopian Yirga Cheffe.  Brazil & Costa Rican roasted individually just
>>> over
>>> the edge of 2nd crack.  The Yirga Cheffe taken to before second, and
>>> probably a bit too far, but I still got the lemony fruit flavors out of
>>> the
>>> drip cup (I'm calling it C+).  The blend was about 5 days post roast.
>>>  Wow!
>>> I really succeeded on this blend.  Nice syrupy shots with a good color
>>> crema
>>> and tiger striping.  Also made the microfoam just right and had 2
>>> cups.  This was quite the eye opening experience about how far I have