[Homeroast] Saeco Starbucks Barista Espresso

michael brown disracer at msn.com
Sat Mar 20 18:55:45 CDT 2010

John, it is possible.  Others might remember my many questions about my Estro 410.  it's my understanding that the Estro was/is owned by Saeco and very similar.  First struggle was finding a tamper to fit, even though i measured and remeasured, i ended up buying two before settling on a third that fits snug.

Next was grinder upgrade.  I went with a Virtuoso.  Granted better espresso grinders are available, but after calibrating the Virtuoso to grind finer, i'm now able to use the same grinder for espresso, French press, drip, and Clever Coffee Drip.  it was easier for me to justify a few hundred on a grinder that i can use for all my at-home brewing versus several hundred or more for just espresso.  (I did end up with a Super Jolly for the shop with a Delonghi machine).

Then i went about "unpressurizing" my portafilter.  I found 2-3 good youtube videos about it and sent several emails back and forth with Sandy and several others on the list.  I'm MUCH MUCH happier with my PF unpressurized.  I might recommend getting used to the machine and grinder/grind before making that leap though.  Others might disagree.  I'm glad i went about it in the process that i did.  I think i learned more this way.

Have fun and enjoy the process!  Ask questions along the way, there's a lot of wisdom and experience on this list.

Michael B