[Homeroast] I did it all rong....

Bob Hazen peatmonster at comcast.net
Sat Mar 20 10:16:57 CDT 2010

Thanks for the response.  I recall when I learned to use (abuse?) P2 to time
the power drop.  I say "abuse" because I run 1/2 lb loads on 1 lb settings.
This resulted in a significant stretch of the gap between 1st and 2nd.  My
roasts improved considerably as I abandoned P1 and generally went to P2 and
the associated gap stretch.  I have been concerned with baking the beans by
failing to keep the temperature up as I hit 1st.  Of course, until the last
roast I had no experience with baking beans, just tribal knowledge.  I will
have to spend more time fooling with an earlier power drop.  It's sure
tempting to buy a HotTop or Gene Cafe to gain better control of the
temperatures.  It's a slippery slope; this Luge of Coffee Roasting.

BTW, I'm drinking Thursday's Sulawesi as I write.  It's just getting better
with rest.

Bob