[Homeroast] I did it all rong....

Mike Koenig koenig.mike at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 08:18:56 CDT 2010

I've been dropping the heat some time before 1st crack on my HotTop for a
while as well.  At first,  I was going a bit too far, and baking my beans
pretty severely (tasted like wood), so I avoided doing this for a long time,
and would drop heat at the first sign of 1st crack.  This was giving me
about 2-3 minutes from 1st crack to end of roast, and some of my beans were
not roasting evenly, and my espressos were a bit harsh.  After I while, I
managed to learn the sights, sounds and smells of the point about a minute
before 1st comes, where I drop the heat,  which gives me about 4-5 minutes
to end of roast (or shorter if I want to and turn the heat up again).
Unfortunately, there is no good way to explain where this point is, and it
takes some experience to find it.

My roasts (especially for espresso) have improved dramatically once I
started doing this..

--mike