[Homeroast] Coffee Associated With Lower Risk of Arrhythmias

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 15 18:38:09 CDT 2010

My sense is that most of the researchers who have found a negative
relationship between reasonable coffee consumption and an illness
started the research hypothesizing a direct rather than a negative
relationship between coffee consumption and ill health.  However, once
researchers put in the time and effort to complete a research project
they need to go ahead and publish it even if the results were contrary
to their expectations.  For most researchers publication is essential
for tenure, promotion, and raises so it is necessary to publish the
results of research even if the results are contrary to what they
expected.  In another area, tobacco use and ill health, the tobacco
industry funded many studies that were deliberately done with too
small a sample to find a significant relationship.  In this way they
have come up with a bunch of studies reporting "no significant"
finding to try to refute the health argument against smoking.  These
studies were designed after the tobacco industry was aware of the
strength of the statistical relationship and had statisticians tell
them how large a sample to avoid.  To their dismay after their many
small sample studies were published another researcher aggregated the
data from the studies the tobacco industry funded to show a
significant negative health impact.  Anyway, the studies I have seen
on the relatively good health impact of coffee consumption do not show
the pattern found in the tobacco studies so I don't think they are
produced as an industry funded sales campaign.

One other aspect that leads to criticism of these studies is that they
are not controlled experiments, the ideal research method is the
controlled experiment but there are many areas of human health that
simply cannot be studied with the controlled experiment method.  I
won't go into details of that but my research on country music and
suicide is just one example of research area that cannot be studied by
controlled experiment.

I apologize if you have difficulty understanding my corrupted writing.

      pecan jim