[Homeroast] Does this sound right?

Peter Louton peter at midwestbicycleworks.com
Tue Mar 9 13:46:49 CST 2010

Hi Greg,

I'm a newbie, too.  I just got a Behmor a few weeks ago myself and I have a lot to learn about it.  On Coffeegeeks, somebody posted a profile of the the different roasts and times and such and the effect of adding or subtracting time would have to the roasting process.  So far, I have roasted a few times with mixed success. The first time I roasted a Brazil Santos at the P3 setting 1/2 pound and 225 grams of beans, I've got a gram scale, and let it run it's course and the Behmor setting was spot on for it.  It entered the cooling phase right as the second crack hit.  Then I did the same beans and at the beginning punched the plus symbol twice.  Then let it go and it was almost the same, maybe 3 or so seconds intot the second crack and it entered the cooling phase.  Both looked color wise about the same, and tasted very similar using my technivorm.  I should have used my Bialetti to compare, but that will be next time.  Anyways, the next batch, I thought I'd play absentee coffee roaster, and set it to run with some beans, and voila, my son yells at me it is really smoky in here and I rush in thinking I have lots of time still left open the door and pfoommm big flames errupt, quickly close door and take it outside.  This was monday night and I work Sat and Sun nights and I didn't sleep much Monday day, because I had to homeschool and so I was very sleepy/incoherrent when I started the roast...stupid me, I knew better than to open the door!!!  Oh well, then I tried again, but I had the wrong weight setting and too many beans and they didn't cook enough, but I cooked them twice, and they look ok, like a City and when crushed and sniffed, smell  ok, but when run through the Technivorm, were very bland.  Would make a great cup for people with acidity problems.

Before I jumped to the Behmor, I used my oven and produced some great, to me, tasting coffees and my coworkers think I'm nuts and that is all that really matters.

As to the Marketing, being passionate and good only counts for a small portion of the business accumen.  The really successful ones have two partners.  Think Microsoft and the brains of Allen and Gates' marketing abilities, but that is another Seattle can o worms.  LOL

Peter

-- Sent from my Palm Prē