[Homeroast] Does this sound right?

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Tue Mar 9 22:14:29 CST 2010

Actually, the first greens I ever roasted were Liquid Amber, because a friend had sent me some home-roasted Malabar Gold (greens unavailable) to prove to me how much better home-roasting could be than even specialty-roast-shop, and that was the closest thing SM's seemed to have had to it.  I rarely pulled S.O. espressos (I think I did only Aussie Mt. Top), using mostly that, Monkey & Donkey before reading the blending page notes and putting together "Rocket Fuel," with each varietal roasted pre-blending. And it took me almost 2 years before I did that, using stuff from SA samplers plus some Monsooned Malabar and Premium Robusta I'd ordered separately (from SM's of course).
On Mar 9, 2010, at 9:08 PM, Joseph Robertson wrote:

> Greg,
> Unless all you drink is espresso and even if it is I would have to agree
> with Jim on this. Most of us here started with a more simple equation by
> learning with a SO bean. Once you get your skills fine tuned then I would
> move on to fine tuning my taste buds for espresso blending. This I still
> need to pratice much more of myself.
> Best roasts possible,
> Joseph
>
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Jim Gundlach <pecanjim at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Basic questions are quite welcome, we all have been there.  My basic
>> suggestion is to start with single beans rather than blends.  You can learn
>> a lot from the very good beans we get here.  I find blending rather
>> difficult and often feel I am losing something by mixing the good beans.
>>
>>     pecan jim
>>

>> On Mar 8, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Greg Rothschild wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>> I'm new to roasting and new to the list as of a few days ago. Is it ok to
>>> ask very basic roasting questions? So far I've only seen posts on what I'd
>>> call advanced topics and I don't want to spoil your fun ;)  If this list
>>> is
>>> for more advanced discussions could someone please point me to a