[Homeroast] Does this sound right?

Greg Hollrigel ghollrigel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:39:03 CST 2010

Greg:

I agree with Chris.  I use a Behmor too, and have seen similar results with
P4.  I now open the door on the last leg of P3 or P4 during 1st crack to try
and slow it down, and I seem to do better in lengthening the time between
1st crack and 2nd crack.  So I would say keep it up and enjoy the
experiments.

Generally, I don't let blends rest longer than single origins.  For
espresso, I try to let beans rest around 4-5 days before pulling.  For drip,
I start brewing about 2-4 days post roast.

One comment, I have been informed by some that it is a good idea to roast
beans individually and blend post-roast.  Personally, I think that is a good
idea generally.  For example, you can roast an Ethiopian to a City or C+
roast and then combine it with a Brazil roasted to FC/FC+.  I have had good
success with this style of blending, and plan to pursue it more.

Right now, the only blends I roast as a blend are Sweet Maria's
pre-determined blends.

Just another 2 cents.

Greg