[Homeroast] Does this sound right?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:16:43 CST 2010

Greg,

Welcome to the list, I'm sure we're happy to help answer questions, whether
advanced or basic.

>From the information you provided, your roasting for espresso, right?
That'd be my guess since your going for a P4 roast.  Sounds like you did
pretty good for a beginning roast... did the beans look fairly evenly
roasted among the different origins or did it look like you got a pretty
mixed batch?  You can get blended starts of first and second cracks due to
the different origins responding differently.  12 oz is a good batch size to
try... I usually roast between 10 and 12, though most of my blends are done
post-roast.

How long have you rested the beans and how do they taste?  They should start
tasting good after three or more days, but there's no rule about trying them
earlier.  If you try pulling them as an espresso shot right away, you may
want to grind the beans and let them outgass for fifteen or so minutes on
the first or second day.

Also, it looks like the beans picked up quite a bit of momentum in first and
you got maybe a minute and a half between first and second... that's not too
bad, but you might try opening the door either during first crack or after
first to slow it down a bit.

If I were to guess, I'd say that this roast should taste pretty good.  Let
us know.

-Chris