[Homeroast] hazmat blends of *$

David Martin davidhmartin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:24:10 CST 2010

Depending on the roasting method used, it may be even harder to
determine/define variables. For example, I'm still using a hand-held
heat gun. I like roasting this way, but there's no way I can ever
produce the same roast profile twice, using this technique. So, I
simply don't worry about it. I rely mainly on sound and smell, along
with my recollection of how I previously roasted that variety and how
it came out. I buy 5lb bags and roast 10oz at a time, and usually by
the third batch I've got a pretty good idea of how to make the beans
taste good. Also, by the way, after 4 years of home roasting I'm still
not entirely sure where C+ ends and FC begins; this used to bug me but
at some point I decided not to worry about it.

I have a lot of respect for those who take a more analytical approach,
keep records, etc. At some point I might evolve towards doing that as
well, and I'm sure it'll improve the quality of my roasts, but at this
point I'm perfectly happy with my current intuitive approach.

-Dave