[Homeroast] (resending )The Dreaded Starbucks

Larry Dorman ldorman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:49:49 CST 2010

I don't really begrudge Starbucks for the most part...  I just don't
find their coffee appealing.  As far as I'm concerned, Starbucks burns
the hell out of their coffee so that it all tastes the same regardless
of the quality and origin of the beans.

I feel their quality has gone downhill due to lower grade raw
materials, lack of training, and poor equipment.  At the same time,
they were the first place I ever tried a latte and owe them some
thanks for that introduction.  (That would have been my first
experience with any espresso based drink...)

At the same time, with home roasting and getting out to some truly
outstanding coffee shops, the bar has been raised.  Again, I don't
begrudge Starbucks... they're the McDonalds of coffee drinks.  When I
want a steak I don't go to McDonalds.

Perhaps the one area in which I do begrudge Starbucks is when they
plagiarize other coffee shops and/or intentionally seek to put them
out of business.

LarryD