[Homeroast] (resending )The Dreaded Starbucks

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 16:33:48 CST 2010

For me, Ryan, it's pretty simple. *$ established dark French roast as the
national standard, and that's a sin for which I won't forgive them. They
also chased a lot of independents out of business.

My start in drinking specialty coffee came in 1976 at the single Harvard
Square location of Coffee Connection. What a revelation. Coffee Connection
later expanded and was eventually bought by *$, but they were a small,
independent coffee outlet at the time.  They were the first place where I
discovered fresh-roasted, fresh-ground, single-origin coffees.

For a decade after that, I'd seek out coffee purveyors in Boston and New
York, gravitating mostly toward African coffees, especially Kenyan, roasted
somewhere around C+, and the Celebes-Kalossi (later Sulawesi). McNulty's in
Greenwich Village comes to mind, as does Gilley's in Yorkville, although I
can't recall ever being really bowled away by either of their offerings.
There was a little shop in Westport, CT, along my long commute in the
mid-90s, that turned out the most amazing African roasts, and I'd stop there
religiously for a year or so. I wish I could remember the name of the place,
but it's not there anymore.

When I moved out to the west coast in '98, it was mostly Peet's and *$, with
an occasional espresso shop like Cafe Trieste constituting the alternative
(Trieste, btw, made lovely coffee at the time). It took me a while to
realize it, but I couldn't buy my beloved African coffees any more. They
tasted like nothing, roast to a deep, oily French roast. The Africans, in
particular, lose their identity at darker roast levels.

It took 10 years and the discovery of SM to finally started drinking coffee
the way I liked it again, and the way it used to be served commonly before
the ascendancy of the big guys.