[Homeroast] (resending )The Dreaded Starbucks

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:39:16 CST 2010

Tastewise, I am not a huge fan of Starbucks myself. What I roast at home kicks Starbucks in the pants based on freshness alone.
I will admit that I am a frequent Starbucks visitor, mainly because the local Starbucks cafes are the cheapest coffee shops in town (and actually are the highest quality in my opinion, we have some really bad coffee shop where I live. I think a lot of the Coffee Shop owners here got started by picking up a coffee for dummies books at Barnes and Noble and upon reading the first chapter took out a business loan).
That being said, I also think that Starbucks is not the worst chain around, and has made some contributions to the industry. The good thing about Starbucks is they they are usually really good (locally) about consistency. Some shops here will sell you the best mocha you have ever had one day and the most disgusting chocolate coffee drink on the planet the next. They have also raised many peoples' standards in terms of coffee. Those standards may not be what the rest of the Specialty Coffee people agree with, but peoples' idea of coffee is no longer limited to Foldgers and Maxwell House coffee. Starbucks, in many ways has opened up the Speciality Coffee market, much like the Amazon.com Kindle has opened up the eReader device market.
Coffeewise, they do roast their beans too dang dark. Call me weird, but I actually like my Sumatra and Sulawesi roasted just bellow Full City, I think it brings out the more subtle flavors that way without killing them. Starbucks Sumatra is almost roasted to a French Roast.
I also agree that their recipes (milk to coffee ratios) have been a disservice to the industry. But then again, they are popular, in a Capitalist market, the people paying for the product get to decide.

These are my thoughts,
I would be interesting in hearing others' opinions.

As far as opening up the flood-gates here, I am very aware that asking this question may have just dropped a huge bomb, but bare with me. Some people have very strong feelings about Starbucks, I personally do not, but I would appreciate the opportunity to understand why you do.
--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com