[Homeroast] (resending )The Dreaded Starbucks

Joseph Robertson theotherjo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:01:28 CST 2010

Ryan,
You opened a big one with this seemingly simple question. Just for starters
it goes way back to when Pete of "Pete's Coffee" trained the original coffee
roasters for *$'s. *$'s went there own way ( which by the way I hear Pete
was not proud of )
which led to mass production and huge computer run roasters with fixed
profiles. Now mind you I'm only on the very fringe of this long and
convoluted story. I have not read The Story of Pete's Coffee or the books
that have some of the details around this.
I need to. I took a seminar from Dr. John at the Seattle coffee fest some
time back on "Blending for Espresso". After the class and down at his booth
he made a passing comment that only a couple of us could hear. I'll never
forget it. " Seattle is not the coffee capital of the world, Seattle is the
milk capital of the world."
Star bucks was very influential in making that happen. We home and small
coffee roasters are all about the taste of the coffee first.
We all have our reasons for bashing the big guys, I, like you Ryan want to
know what is behind it from a historical perspective. After all I did,
aahhh, cut my spro, coffee teeth on Star bucks back when they first started
with lever machines.
I will leave this question in the hands of those on this list with more
knowledge of history here.
I have learned a lot about this question from a lister here who's name I
can't remember. He shared a lot of history of the Pete family  which really
helped me understand the connections.
Happy creama,
Joseph