[Homeroast] When your do NOT have home roasted coffee... a Sunday post.

Sandy Andina sandraandina at mac.com
Sun Mar 7 13:59:20 CST 2010

Via is dreck. I tried some that came in a Christmas gift mug---kept the mug, though.  When I don't have enough homeroast on hand to travel, do not expect to find a roastery on the way, and I am traveling by car and not air, I take a mini-Keurig one-cup brewer and a few capsules. I was very skeptical at first, since the coffee is preground as well as roasted. Surprisingly, I find the quality of the coffee (as long as I buy the capsules from Keurig or Green Mt., not from a store) to be far superior to hotel and restaurant coffee, second only to fresh beans from a good local roaster en route and third only to homeroasted SM's.

The machine's too bulky and heavy (in its special tote bag) and delicate to fly with, though, so when I fly I always bring my AP, filters of all sizes (if there's an in-room pot), Zass Turkish, travel mug, and mini-Ibis plus whatever homeroast I have on hand or remembered to roast in time.  Unless I know I'm going to a hotel renowned for its free coffee (and those I can count on the fingers of one cartoon-character hand).