[Homeroast] When your do NOT have home roasted coffee... a Sunday post.

Ryan M. Ward silvercro_magnon at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:51:50 CST 2010

Tom, I appreciate your thoughts on Via, I really don't understand it either. I think it is kind of gross. Granted, infinitely better than freeze dried insta-crud. I would also take a cup of Via over Foldgers any day. What floors me is the price for what you are getting. Its not like the convenience factor is that much of an incentive. Lets think about what you need to make a cup of via:

1) A Cup
2) Hot water (I personally do not think via makes very good iced coffee, contrary to their advertising)
3) Coffee
4) A spoon

All you have to add to this mix is a 1 cup French press and replace the little via packet with a ziploc baggie full of home ground coffee- you have increased your quality by leaps and bounds without compromising very much convenience. Carry a small grinder, you are officially a coffee nerd but hey, even fresher- grind the beans on the fly.

I think Via is a very impressive marketing experiment. But then again, look at what is selling right now- Via, Keriug, Senso and Tassimo one cup makers, canned coffee, etc... I think Starbucks is capitalizing on a trend.

Note: this email should not be taken as Starbucks bashing, I do not have any quarrels with Starbucks, I have quarrels with Via- I think it is a total rip off! (In my obviously humble opinion)

--
Ryan M. Ward

http://www.ubuntu.com