[Homeroast] When your do NOT have home roasted coffee... a Sunday post.

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Sun Mar 7 12:03:54 CST 2010

A nice post reminding us why we complicate our lives with home
roasting. I think in some sick way I enjoy traveling because there
are always those transit days that force a person to either a.
estimate where they can get the least-worst cup of coffee or b. get a
cup of tea. The later was never an option, but lately I keep a little
good earl grey or Darjeeling with me, and I have to admit it is much
better than travel options. For example, I have to transit through
the airport in San Jose Costa Rica a lot, and the coffee there is
painful, at best. Oddly, as of late I would actually rather have a
really commercial coffee, light roast, flavorless, then have
someone's really sick idea of "specialty coffee" roasted a bit
darker. Seriously.

This all brings me to, of course, Via. I just don't get it. The idea
of traveling with your own mediocre Starbucks coffee because you are
so addicted to it you can't be without, even when you go to some
imaginary city with less than 1000 sbucks locations, well, it seems
very depressing. It goes beyond coffee addiction, its brand
addiction. Via is really expensive and yes, it is a lot better than
the cup you get at the San Jose CR airport, but does that matter? If
you are traveling, being without good coffee is temporary. Anyway,
Greg, it's very encouraging to know that home is where the best
coffee is at. I think home roasting still has a ways to go (roasters
and grinder could always be better), but if it's the freshest cup, if
it gives us choice of taste and we can craft our own idea of the
"best cup" (even if we don't always hit the nail on the head), it
certainly is a LOT better than being a slave to a giant chain coffee
store.

Which brings up traveling with home roasted coffee: sometimes I do,
sometimes I don't. My Hario Skerton/Aeropress combo was great in
Africa, but recently in Guatemala I preground everything. The
aeropress is the smallest coffee maker, fit's better in my luggage,
but is hard if you want to make cups for 2-3 others as well. The
Clever dripper would be better for that, but it is large for my
luggage. In Costa Rica I did not bring any coffee or coffee maker.
You would think there would be lots of good coffee around, and there
is at some places. Helsar farm has their own Behmor and serves very
nice French Press coffee, as does Montes de Oro farm. I brought a
Behmor down to the Don Mayo mill because his Gene Caffe died, and I
couldn't get a new heating element for him in time. In CR a lot of
the producers we work with are now home roasters! They can't afford
Probats and the like, so in the past they never were able to
roast/taste/serve their own coffee. That has changed, and on most
trips I am taking down machines for someone or other. Now, if we
found someone on the list who actually travels with green coffee and
a roaster (!) as well as grinder and brewer, we would have to crown a
new champion of coffee excess!!!

Tom

-Tom