[Homeroast] Finished roast color coding relevance > Is it just me?

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 11:51:47 CST 2010

I don't know what the consensus is on the list, but I enjoy learning about
aspects of coffee production that I could never hope to use or duplicate in
my home roasting setup.  Sometimes the discussions veer enough off my
interests so that I just delete the messages (Google Mail makes it easy to
delete a thread in one click).  I've been guilty of this various days on
this very thread.

I don't think that we need to restrain the list to only topics that apply to
home roasting... we wouldn't get Starfinder's insights into the Chock Full
of Nuts story if we did, and I quite enjoyed that.

Just my opinion, however, and if there's enough countervailing winds, I'm
fine with that too.  I just think that if there were no interest in a topic,
it would die a natural death (as long as there is not constant meta
conversation going on about weather or not the topic is appropriate to the
list to keep the thread alive in a discussion about the thread).  Guilty of
that in this very post.

Personally, I'm happy with the roast descriptions I've taken from Sweet
Maria's and use as they describe more then just color of the bean (which can
be arrived at from different ways with different results depending on the
type of profile) as well as cracks and some of the videos that Tom has done
even have very good visual ways to determine the state of the roast based on
the shape of the bean and the crack as well as the smoothness.  For me, I
want to determine when to stop the roast which is primarily based on cracks
and slightly on color (having a Behmor, I don't have a trier to pull out
beans during the roast and have a view but not a great view of the beans)
and once I stop the roast don't analyze the exact roast of the bean to a
great extent, maybe I should if I were leaning more towards science and less
art.

-Chris