[Homeroast] Is it just me?

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 15:14:41 CST 2010

Hi Ryan,

There are a couple of very broad-level indicators that help to frame the
classifications. They won't help distinguish C++ from FC (I didn't actually
think there was a C++, that its introduction was a programmer's joke), but
they do help at the broader level.

The two things that come to mind are

1) proximity to the cracks.
2) oil on the surface

Mind you, around here 2) indicates a roast level that's generally frowned
upon, as it helps to distinguish Vienna and darker, but the complete absence
of oil on the surface at least indicates that your roast is lighter than
Vienna.

But 1) seems to be a reasonable "extra indicator" that helps to pin down C
from C+ from FC from FC+.

Of course, you can get to 1st crack in 4 minutes and be grossly
underroasted, so it's obviously not absolute. But, combined with other
methods and indicators, it's a really valuable marker for your degree of
roast, IMHO.

Doug