[Homeroast] Is it just me?

miKe mcKoffee mcKona at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 23:07:14 CST 2010

If relying strictly or primarily on bean "color" as the determining factor
in degree of roast then yes, there is indeed a deficiency, a lack of
understanding, in what Tom provides on his roast pictorial page.

"Visual examination during roasting is 'just one of the ways' to determine
where the coffee is in the roast process. By itself, it is of limited use.
When complimented by the audible cues (first and second crack) and the
aromas of the roast process, it is extremely informative. Beware that coffee
is more about exceptions that rules; Sumatras often look like they are in
the City roast while in fact they are into 2nd Crack. On the other hand,
there is an occasional coffee that over-represents the degree of roast, that
looks darker than it truly is, such as some Kenyas and St. Helena (and some
would say that dry-processed Brazils are in the category too). Dry-processed
"natural" coffees do not roast to an even color, so it is hard to judge the
median color of the batch to determine the degree of roast. And none of
these factors necessarily have a bearing on the quality of a raw coffee:
quality is determined in the cup!"

And further:

"The important thing is here is to see the transformation the coffee goes
through as it roasts and what look, color, bean "size" and "surface
texture", corresponds to the degree of roast."

Tending to rely primarily or even strictly on the bean color during the
roast to determine roast level is normal early in roasting Journeys, but it
is faulty. As Tom points out by itself "it is of limited use".

As far as terminology usage such as City++ etc. goes, their usage is to a
degree subjective versus a system like Agtron. But the more experienced
gained discussing roasts the less variance in meaning is found.

That said read my sigtag, it isn't just a saying. The more I know about
coffee the more I know I don't know.

Slave to the Bean Kona Konnaisseur miKe mcKoffee
http://www.NorwestCoffee.com

http://themeyers.org/HomeRoast/