[Homeroast] Is it just me?

Jim Graf exportfs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 15:40:08 CST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Jim Gundlach <pecanjim at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> ...  A very fast roast can produce less roasted middles of the beans than a
> slower roast and it will produce more difference between the colors of the
> whole and ground beans.  ...
>   pecan jim

It can be very confusing. If you stall the roast at 380 for a bit before
continuing on to 1st crack, and then you stop the roast immediately after
1st, do you have a City or a City+. It's the vagueness of roast color, time
till <fill in blank> that makes tasting the result more important. I think
Tom emphasizes  that by describing in great detail the flavors that he
achieved at a couple of different roast levels. Do I interpret that
correctly?

The really difficult thing for us small batch roasters is to have some sort
of consistency between batches. Folks with sophisticated roasters must be
able to achieve consistency far far better then folks like me - sitting
under a tree, flipping beans in a pot, watching the birds, sipping a beer...

So for me and I emphasize me, stating something is C++ is just so much smoke
in the wind.

:)

-jim