[Homeroast] Is it just me?

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 5 09:31:51 CST 2010

No, it is not just you.  There are two roots to this problem.  The
first is that we are talking about a continuous variable by using an
ordinal scale, it is like talking about height using the categories
short, medium, and tall without having exact measurements and tools to
make the measurements for the categories.  The best we have, in my
opinion, are SweetMaria's pictures but our computer monitors even show
them somewhat differently.  The second problem is that the speed and
way of roasting can produce varying degrees of difference between the
unground and ground beans colors.  A very fast roast can produce less
roasted middles of the beans than a slower roast and it will produce
more difference between the colors of the whole and ground beans.  The
result is that we have less than perfect communication when we are
writing about roasted bean colors.
    pecan jim