[Homeroast] Is it just me?

Allon Stern allon at radioactive.org
Thu Mar 4 21:42:47 CST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Brian Kamnetz wrote:

> I personally think that probably the finer distinctions -- City, C+,
> C++, etc) have the most meaning for people who have learned to
> "stretch" the part of the roast between first crack and second crack.

It isn't hard. If you rush through the first part of the roast, you will end up in the last part of the roast much faster.

When doing HG+DB roasts, I usually give it about 3 minutes on the low setting of the heatgun, maybe more sometimes. Then I set it up to high, and back the HG off from the bowl. Sometimes I switch to low, stir, switch to high, stir, etc., as I approach 1st crack, to try to slow it down. If you don't go into 1st slow, you won't go out of 1st slow either.

I did some espresso workshop #7 the other night, 250g with HG+FB (fry basket, in a snug fitting bowl). I hit 1st crack at around 11 minutes, EOR at 14:30, with 2nd just getting started (after reading the notes, I realize I should have stopped sooner. Ah well, it's still good :)

-
allon