[Homeroast] Behmor roasting

Yakster yakster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 12:58:33 CST 2010

Welcome, Peter,

What helped get me started with the Behmor (besides reading everything I
could on the forums) was downloading the BehmorThing program from
www.BehmorThing.com to help plan my roasts.  It logs inventory and even
reminds you when maintenance is required, quite the nice program.

I keep this general guideline from Joe Behm on his profile preferences
handy, and deviate when I feel necessary or on a whim, but it's a good
starting point...

P1-2.. all centrals, Peruvian and Colombians
P3... Brazilians, Africans, SE Asians, Malabar, Jamaican Blue Mtn and Yauco
Selecto
P4.. Kona and other low grown island coffees

My typical batch is 10 - 13.3 ounces (divisible into a 5 pound batch of
greens) run on 1 pound profiles.  I've been sticking with P3 or P4 profiles
for espresso and still do a lot of P2 profiles to try and stretch the time
between first and second crack.  Once you've done a P1 profile of a
particular bean at a particular load size, you can use BehmorThing to
program a P2 roast so that the second leg of the roast profile (the power
drop) happens near where you expect first crack.

Good luck, and enjoy your roaster.

-Chris

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Peter Louton <peter at midwestbicycleworks.com