[Homeroast] OT: Barry, anyone else in Hawaii

F.R. Parth fparth at mac.com
Mon Mar 1 20:30:44 CST 2010

My better half and I have been in Australia for the past couple of weeks, doing work and visiting friends. We spent last weekend touring the Hunter Valley north of Sydney (fabulous wines) and were sitting down for breakfast at a hotel in Newcastle, on the western coast, when we heard about the earthquake and that a tsunami was expected to hit within the next two hours.

We stretched out our breakfasts hoping to catch the tsunami from the window of the restaurant, but it was a non-event. One island off Tonga got some activity, but for New Zealand and Australia it just didn't happen. But that's a good thing.

Didn't get a chance to try any good coffees while here in Melbourne. I brought two pounds of a roasted/ground Indonesian coffee with me, but that didn't last more than a few days so I'm making do with store bought. One high note - we didn't see a single Starbucks in Melbourne. Maybe there are some, but we went all around and never saw one.

Frank Parth