[Homeroast] Costa Rican City roast

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 13:29:55 CST 2010

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for an honest account of the ups and downs of your roasting.

I go through cycles myself. I roast HG/DB, and I suspect that pan roasting
must suffer many of the same advantages and disadvantages.

I have a problem with consistency. The heat gun method gives, as they say,
total control but zero repeatability. I suppose that if you wanted to say
that 'total control' included enough control to gain consistency, then
'total control' is the wrong term, but never mind all that.

I do find myself occasionally in patches where the results aren't that
great. And it's during those times that I often wonder why I'm taking the
trouble to do this week-in and week-out.

But then, like you, I'll stumble on the right combination, and the results
are perfect. And that's when I know what it is that keeps me roasting
coffee.

Glad you found your groove again!
Doug