[Homeroast] Costa Rican City roast

Jim Gundlach pecanjim at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 1 10:20:47 CST 2010

I agree with Ed's points, but I would like to add a few.  I've roasted
over fires for years and I find that scorching, that is cooking the
outside too quickly, is largely due to too high a heat, too thin a
barrier between beans and heat, and a failure to CONSTANTLY stir the
beans.  I found a heavy wok worked best and I would stir by a four
count rhythm.  On the first count I would move the far end of the
beans to the upper left, I am right handed so lefties can scoop the
other direction, on the second I would move the near end beans in the
same direction, on the third move the center section of the beans over
in the same direction and on the longer forth count I would push the
bottom of all of them back to the right.  Also, if you are roasting in
a pan in less that fourteen or fifteen minutes, your pan is too hot
and you are trying to go too fast for the limited heat contact the
beans have in a pan.

         pecan jim