[Homeroast] Removing stale coffee smell from filter basket of Bialetti Moka pot?

Tom & Maria - Sweet Maria's Coffee sweetmarias at sweetmarias.com
Mon Jun 28 13:43:12 CDT 2010

I have made some of the worst coffee ever in brewing equipment rarely
used. For example i remember making a french press after it had sat
for 2-3 months without use. I washed it in really hot water before
brewing but still - terrible coffee.

Anyway, I think you need a coffee cleaner product to do this. I don't
think a home solution will be too effective. Cleancaf is ideal. We
actually use Urnex espresso cleaner, the same I soak a portafilter in
if it has residue, for cleaning brew equipment, filter baskets, and
vacuum thermos pots. Really hot water and a teaspoon of good espresso
cleaner, leave 20 minutes with the lid on, shake and use a scrub
brush if you have one, amazing what comes out.

>I have this moka pot I hardly ever even used and I clean it well after
>using, (and I never use really old coffee) but for some reason the filter
>basket has a horrible stale coffee smell which then you end up tasting in
>the coffee. Yuck!
>
>Here is what I tried so far:
>1)Soak in baking soda
>2)Boil water, turn heat off and leave the filter submerged in that water
>overnight.
>
>Nada! The smell won't leave! Anyone else have any ideas?
>
>Thanks folks.
>
>--
>General Note to All--
>PLEASE BE AWARE I ONLY HAVE EMAIL ACCESS MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY TILL ABOUT
>5PM.

-Tom