[Homeroast] Bulk Grinder for Drip

Bryan Wray bwray_thatcoffeeguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 10:50:50 CDT 2010

Sorry if I'm mentioning things already brought up, I'm coming into this thread way late.

Regarding Bunn vs. Grindmaster, I have indeed found exactly the same thing as Ed.
I've worked on dozens (probably getting close to hundreds) of Bunn/Grindmaster bulk grinders and they are all exactly the same on the inside.  Different caps on the outside, but their guts are all the same.

My guess would be that, more than likely, somewhere someone used the terminology that Grindmaster "crushes the coffee" where other grinders cut, referring to blade grinders, not other high quality burr grinders and certainly not in reference to Bunn grinders.

We were recently lucky enough to be able to pick up both a Mahlkonig Guatemala and a Ditting KF804 to go along with some Bunn G Series grinders we already had.

So far my opinion would be that the Ditting makes the other grinders look like children's toys.  Well, maybe not that extreme, but I definitely prefer the Ditting.  However, the Ditting has a strange "exit chute" that often gets backed up, which is really frustrating when using it for "by the cup" grinding.  The Ditting weighs almost twice as much as either of the other grinders, and yet the grinder is unbelievably quiet.  It is WAY quieter than the Mahlkonig and quite a bit quieter than the Bunn.  The burr carriers are huge, meaning they'll take forever to fully heat up (also, consequently meaning once they are hot they'll take forever to cool down).  Speed seems to be about the same no matter what, but we need to grab new burr sets for the grinders so comparison isn't fair at this point.  Also, grind quality is relatively the same from all the grinders.

Because I'm coming into the conversation late, did someone already point to why a Super Jolly (or any grinder with burrs designed for espresso extraction) is a poor choice for anything other than espresso?  I'm guessing probably yes...  Regardless, if you have never read through Ephram's presentation on grinding, you should: http://www.mpechicago.com/coffee/images/uploads/pdfs/SCAA_2010.pdf.  Start digging in around page 18...  Some parts are really general, but not all.  Also, this is a decent quick read: http://www.mpechicago.com/coffee/AboutUltrafine/Onsite_Articles/Coffee%20%20Cocoa%204-06.pdf.  In this article he talks more about plurimodal grinding.  Neither of these articles go over the top at all, but if you haven't ever looked at particle distribution graphs before, this is a nice place to start.

-bry

Bryan Wray

Nor'West Coffee

360.831.1480

Bryan at NorWestCoffee.com

It is my hope that people realize that coffee is more than just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art- Chris Owens