[Homeroast] Bulk Grinder for Drip

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 23:14:14 CDT 2010

Hi Joe,

I don't own any of these "German engineering" masterpieces, so all I can do
is speculate.

What I suspect is that the "exit chutes" on the burrs for a "drip grinder"
are more widely spaced than the "exit chutes" on an "espresso grinder."
Thus, you're less likely to get some of the coffee forced through a spacing
that yields fines.

If that's true, then the "drip grinders" so highly valued in Europe would
likely yield output at espresso settings that is less fine than one would
like for perfect espresso.

All speculation. I'd love to hear from someone whose primary experience is
with these mythical "drip grinders." We've got no end of solid experience
with "espresso grinders" here on the SM list.  But I can't think of a single
SM poster who has developed solid expertise with a "drip grinder." Could be
all myth, but my gut tells me that there's something to this.

Doug