[Homeroast] Bulk Grinder for Drip

Doug Hoople doughoople at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 19:56:47 CDT 2010

It's been a while, so I'll just stick in my $0.02 on fines and stalling in
vacpots.

Going coarse with your grind to prevent stalls is completely unnecessary,
and it might even exacerbate the problem instead of making things better.

That's counterintuitive, of course, but it's true.

You can actually reduce stalling with vacpots by going FINER, not coarser.
Some of the most consistent drawdowns I've experienced have been with very
fine grinds.

Still, you shouldn't be fiddling with grind to solve mechanical problems
with stalling. You should be grinding for optimal flavor.

Fix your mechanical stalling problems by blowing the fines out of the bottom
of the funnel with a burst of heat just before taking the pot off the
burner.